Pages

Wednesday 6 October 2010

Desert Island Discs

Since time began BBC Radio 4 have a weekly show where celebrities chose just 10 tracks they could have if washed up (Lost?) on a deserted island. People often choose tracks that bring back memories and its a lot harder than you think to pick just 10 tracks.

For a musical diversion from boating I'm building my list of 10 tracks here.



  1. As a kid aged 6 in 1965 we only had five 45 rpm records to play on our record player. The rumour was that every record player in the UK had a copy of this record. What a cracker it is, the simple lyrics are timeless.

  2. My Dad was very handy with electrical and mechanical things and had a job in the late 60s changing the records every 2 weeks on jukeboxes in pubs and cafes. One Saturday he took me for a ride to a cafe and picked this song for me. He said people liked it because it was a bit longer than most songs, so they got more for their money (1s then or 5p in new money)

    I vividly remember hearing the song and liked it instantly. Here is a modern live version:



  3. I was one of those annoying kids that played a record over and over and over and over again. This one especially because of the hypnotic rhythm - it was a hit single in the UK.



  4. Around about 1973 I was at school friend's house. We played a few pop songs on his record player..then he asked if I had heard of this song. I said "No, what is it like?"

    He played it and today I can remember just how I felt 37 years ago. I was so amazed and had never heard music like that ever before. It was so different to pop music I had listened to on the radio or TV. At the end of the song I could hardly believe my ears and got him to play it again. I can vividly picture myself in his parents lounge standing over the radiogram near a window overlooking the back garden. Where did this music come from? Who on earth is the band? It was an amazing sound.



    So 18 years later, there I am with some mates in Arizona messing around in an amateur band in the drummer's front room trying to play this song (badly). Me on guitar and along comes the solo...ahh I don't know it. But in true rock and roll style I did the first 3 notes then winged it, playing as fast and wild as possible...in key, out of key..who cares. When we played back the cassette it was surprisingly good, shame we lost the tape.
    Rock and Roll...I love it.

  5. I went to this actual concert in 1975 with some school mates. Due to the beer consumed my memory of the night is a little fuzzy. Hard core fans will know that Jimmy Page broke a finger in his left hand 2 weeks before this concert but in true Rock God style he worked out a way of playing - you can hear a simpler guitar part compared to the album version.



  6. This song just floats along with a haunting memory. Its probably in my top 5.



  7. In 1977 I went to Uni, Freshers week was fun and in a disco I won a free T-Shirt because I knew exactly when this song was released (1971). It's a classic and was guaranteed to fill the floor back then.




  8. A massive one hit wonder in 1977, often played twice at Uni discos that year. Over 8 million hits on You Tube and still popular today.

  9. "And I was thinking to myself...." what were they smoking when they wrote this?

3 comments:

  1. What no Squeeze?
    try Cool for Cats, Up The Junction, Tempted, the list goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still 4 to go Graham....but I've got 50 buzzing around in my head!

    Will check those out. I do remember Cool for Cats at Uni, a classic indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking back - I never realised I started to like rock and roll from such at early age of 9

    Will they be playing Brown Sugar in my old folks home in 2050? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete